This piece was previously featured in Santa Cruz Waves magazine
Young Jack Conti is at one of the greatest ages one can be in life, ten years old. At ten, the world is your playground. You’re not old enough to drive, but that doesn’t matter, you’d rather skateboard anyways. Almost every wave is head high. Dietary concerns include choosing between a Pop Tart or bag of skittles.
It feels like yesterday when I first spotted Jacky Boy out in the water of Pleasure Point. Like most groms, when surf fever hit, it hit hard Soon enough there wasn’t a day in which I didn’t see him bobbing around in the lineup, with his cheeky, toothless grin. Then came the shredding. Jack’s progression was lightning fast, and it wasn’t long before he was laying down smooth carves and popping stylish aerials. If that wasn’t enough, the lil’ feller’s attitude is so positive and he clearly goes out of his way to show respect and stoke whenever he can.
Darshan Gooch, my own personal mentor, and beacon of positive vibrations and pure stoke, has been watching young Jack progress and is clearly impressed by his ability, yet it’s his attitude that stands out most in Gooch’s eyes.
“Jack is a very bright young spirit, one of those rare kids who a very receptive and responsive to the community. Bright eyed, aware of his environment, always looks people in the eye when engaging in conversation, and is always smiling. The burgeoning talent pool surrounding the Point, seems to feed his hunger to catch up to the older guys, and emulate their tricks. His progress has been astounding”.
Shawn Dollar is another surfer who has been supporting Jack. “He’s just a gifted surfer, he’s so natural in the water, aesthetically pleasing to watch, he’s really athletic with whatever he does, but he really has this passion for surfing, it comes naturally to him. If he keeps it up, he’s already one of the best surfers in town for his age, and he will be amazing by the time he’s eighteen.”
With a great attitude and tons of support, Jack “The Ripper” has a promising career in the surf world as well as in the game of life.
1. Date of Birth/age?- 7/20/04 AGE 10
2. Home Break?- SEWER PEA,K PLEASURE POINT
3. Height/weight?-4′-8″ 70 LBS
4. Sponsors?-BILLABONG SURFSHOP, XCEL, REEF, RUSTY SURFBOARDS, SANTA CRUZ SKATEBOARDS,ELECTRIC, FUTURES.
5. Years surfing?-SURFING 4 YEARS
6. Favorite Move?-AIR REVERSE
7. Best surfing buddies (who do you surf with)?-MY FAMILY AND ALL THE POINT GROMS
8. Interests outside of surfing?-. BASEBALL AND SKATEBOARDING
9. Best Contest result?-BACK TO BACK WINS AT THE POINT AND THE LANE NSSA MINIGROM 10&UNDER
10. Favorite surfers in the world?-JOSH KERR, TAJ BURROW
11. Favorite Local surfers?-NAT YOUNG, ADAM REPLOGLE, SHAWN DOLLAR, NIC H’DEZ
12. What inspires you to surf?-MY FRIENDS AND EVERYBODY THAT PUSHES ME TO DO BETTER
13. If you could travel one place to surf, where would that be, and why?-JBAY, BECAUSE IT HAS PERFECT RIGHTS THAT GO FOREVER
14. Advice for other groms?-TRY YOUR HARDEST AND RESPECT OTHER PEOPLE IN AND OUT OF THE WATER
15. Thank You’s?-MY SPONSORS, MY FRIENDS AND MY FAMILY
Yeah Neal Dude!!